Thursday, February 19, 2015

Melt: The Sandwich of Your Childhood, All Grown-up

After the opening of Melt at Easton, the buzz about these scrumptious sandwiches has taken over the area. The Downtown location is a smashing success, so it doesn't surprise me that when word got out about it coming into town for the folks who would rather not take a trip into the downtown atmosphere, it was a hit as well. For the first couple of weekends, it was practically impossible to get in, unless perhaps you would like to wait for 30-45 minutes for a table to open up. The most catchy thing about the place has to be the decor, bright pumpkins and snowmen sit atop the back of the bar wall, smiling and shining bright as you enjoy your meal; it is decor like no other.

Take heed when ordering though, the sandwiches will most likely be more than you can handle in one sitting so it makes the perfect meal for two, especially if you enjoy partaking in the appetizers ( which I HIGHLY recommend the buffalo tofu "wings"). Or it makes a great meal for later, just heat the oven to 350 degrees and bake it open faced; it'll come out as if it was just served! Back to the tofu wings, men- don't fret or fear, these oddly taste like the real thing, but  have a different texture in comparison. My boyfriend, a fan of buffalo wings, would order these every time we go, and I will never say no! As for the sandwich I recommend, my top pick is the peanut butter, honey, & banana melt (as long as you have a palate for the sweet and salty combo). One bit into it and you will be savoring every little last morsels on your tastebuds, because no joke- this is like a dessert in lunch/dinner form. I always asked for these as a kid (partially because "Face" from Nickelodeon said they were his favorite- if you're a 90's baby, I hope you know who I am referring to) and now it is all grown-up and better than I ever remembered!

I also particularly enjoyed the "After School Special" with fried Bologna, although I could barely get the sandwich to fit in my mouth due to the mere size of the toppings (which is no complaint, by any means)- the more the merrier. It beats B-Spot's bologna, hands-down. However, the Monte Cristo is another story altogether. If you're in the mood for a heavy, put yourself to sleep, kind of meal then this might be for you- it is almost every type of meat with some melted cheese on two slices of Texas toast (I believe) which is then DEEP FRIED. Try and wrap your head (and mouth) around that. Quite a different approach, but I was not a fan of this one, too much breading for my liking. But if fried food is your kryptonite, this may be calling your name.

To wash down your crazy-delicious sandwich, add a cold beer from their numerous brands on draft or bottles and if you aren't big on alcoholic beverages, they have some unique soda choices that I haven't seen at many other restaurants. All in all, it is an amusing atmosphere to dine in and the decadent, grown-up grilled cheeses will have you coming back time and time again. Feel free to share your experience and recommendations!

0 comments:

Post a Comment