Friday, February 13, 2015

Beer Enthusiast's Everywhere are Rejoicing!


Fellow beer connoisseurs are roaring with excitement over the yearly release of Hopslam, a double dosed IPA with powerful notes of hops and honey. The 10% ABV will leave some needing just one beer, but who am I kidding? It's too good to turn down that second. With a limited amount of stock being sold, it is a hot commodity and soon to be a rare find as places continue to sell out daily due to the high demand. It probably is one of the only beers that has a limit to how many cases you can purchase at your local stores. If you haven't enjoyed this fresh brewed beer before, your time is limited! Check out http://bellsbeer.com/brands/brand-finder/ to search for the location nearest you to find this one of a kind brew. Many restaurants are carrying it, including: Rusty Bucket, Melt, Mellow Mushroom, Yabos Tacos, and more. Certain Giant Eagle and Meijer locations are selling 6-packs that go for about $17.99. Mike Stuart states, "I also recommend experimenting with aging a bottle for a year or more. It develops a really interesting honey-barley wine flavor," in his article regarding the release of Hopslam (http://brewprof.com/bells-hopslam-2015-release-information/). You can bet your bottom dollar that I will be setting aside a couple to savor in about a year from now!

On another note, a less hop-y one, for those of you that could do without the intense hop taste and have a palette for something on the sweeter side, I have the PERFECT beer for you. As long as your a fan of root beer, that is. Not Your Father's Root Beer has become my sweet treat to enjoy, usually by a roaring and cozy fire, instead of your normal beer. Personally, I am more of a wine enthusiast than a beer lover, but with this new find (from our excursions at Beerfest 2015) I am teetering on the edge of acquiring a greater preference for ales, that fall in the flavored category. How could I forget to mention, this outstanding beer is 5.9% ABV (some from NYFRB are 10%) and has a smooth finish. Be forwarned- you'll forget you're even drinking an alcoholic beverage with how they have perfected the taste to resemble that of your regular root beer soda. Even my boyfriend, who is very particular about his beers, especially flavored, sweet brews, was raving about this root beer. Not to mention it was quick to "sell out"/ run out at Beerfest this year and is definitely all it is hyped up to be.

After falling in love with this unforgettable taste, I have craved it each time we have gone out to eat/ drink. Unfortunately, I have had unpleasant results of trying the different root beers that are sold at various venues. Melt has one from Sprecher that I definitely would not recommend. The artificial flavoring and coloring is overwhelming, and not in the best way- or a pleasant way- at all. Overall, the taste was more like an ale, and it was heavier, almost like a malt beverage compared to that of NYFRB which was carbonated more similarly to a soda, making it superbly satisfying. The after taste left over after the Sprecher was pragmatic for me; I could practically taste the yeast taking over my tastebuds and I found myself just trying to drink it down quickly instead of enjoying it (since clearly I would never waste it!) Next on my list to try would have to be Rusty Bucket's root beer, maybe I'll get more adventurous and try it in the Root Beer Float (YUM!). Along with that, my list includes attempting to create my own Float with NYFRB- because you just can't beat sweet, delicious root beer poured over creamy, savory ice cream, especially a good vanilla bean. On that note, I will leave you with that mouth-watering sensation as you imagine yourself lounging around with an ice cold Root Beer (or Float) in your hand... You may find yourself thanking the muses for inspiring the Kovac family to make such a finely-crafted, sensational brew!

0 comments:

Post a Comment